Friday, September 24, 2010

FluffyCon 2011

I'm the TO for FluffyCon next year. This is a Warhammer tournament instituted by the Venerable Dreadnaught himself Mr Nick Buckby and run at the annual Battlecry convention at the ASB Stadium by the AMERICA club in February.


FluffyCon is unique. I think many tournaments offer something interesting and unique for their players but FluffyCon goes a step further. I was it think a response to what was at the time perceived as a 'hardening' of the attitudes (and armies) of many Warhammer players in our community. At FoB '08 (gosh, that seems like such a long time ago...) as a naive new TO I was inundated with some seriously nuts armies and, not knowing much better, a lot of horrible stuff turned up. This was the heady days of Vod's Terror-bomb Keeper Daemons, of Nurgle Daemon hordes led by Great Unclean Ones... and frankly of Daemons in general. I think in a field of 38 playes we have something like 8 Greater Daemons and 7 Dragons. I smashed Philfy's Star Dragon horror 20-0 our first ADC vs Ji-Dave grudge match. Scary times.

Anyway, Nick battled his way through that lot - coming across me in Round Five wielding the old Lizards supplied by Pommy Dave - with his very moderate Wood Elf list. Up to this point I didn't actually know Nick well at all (just one of those mysterious Warhammer veterans the aspiring noobs looks up to with a mixture of awe and fear I guess) but that game basically gave me a new lease on life in Warhammer. Looking back now it was an incredibly fortunate meeting! Through Nick I now have many great friends in the hobby whom I play, paint and converse with on a regular basis - fine players, but also just straight up great guys who love their hobby and the game and want to see the best of it evidenced in the community in general. Long-term players who have the experience and foresight to make calculated calls on where things are at. A big shout out to Reid, Mark, Skellie, Paulie, Paul and Big Nick himself - you guys are all awesome.

But enough of the Oscar speech... where was I?...


Oh yeah... so Nick waded through a bunch of crap at FoB and decided he didn't much like where things were at. So he started FluffyCon - an opportunity for players to 'tone it down' and go back to the roots of the game - theoretically solid strategic thinking and tactical play not centered around hideous combinations of toys and big scary feck off monstery badness.

Two years later Nick had done his dash and was looking for a break - enter yours truly; big FluffyCon fan, keen to put my stamp on the event. Then enter 8th edition.


Balls.

No comments: